Sunday, January 29, 2012

Irreplaceable

I can still  see your little face
looking up at me
and your hand held tightly by my own
as we walked down the street.

I loved you then, and I love you now’
yet my love is not enough!
I wish I could protect you now
when the days and nights get tough.

Our family wouldn’t be the same
without you,
though this you may not know!
I think I’ve told you often enough.
I wish you knew how much it is so!

Oft I’ve entered into your anguish,
and it is a place I don’t belong’
for I must stay outside your pain
to stand watch when the nights grow long.

Your name is spoken to God each day--
Sometimes your name alone is my prayer!
I know He watches over you,
though you don’t believe He is there!

I’ve long forgotten how to be okay
when there is suffering by one of my own,
For when there are tears that need to be shed
I can’t let you cry alone.

It’s not about me, this I know
You must choose life for yourself!
Never give up!  I will never give up!
Please take your future off of the shelf!

You are only limited by your refusal to see
that there is great purpose behind your every breath!
God created you with great plans in his heart,
For abundant life and not futile death!

So, please live, my son, and open your heart--
Allow joy and hope to enter in!
Know that I love you, even as I let go
My love for you will never end!

For I looked in your eyes the day you were born,
and my heart was captured there
I loved who you were, and I love who you are,,,,
There won’t be a time that I’ll cease to care!

by Jerri Harrington

No comments:

Post a Comment